Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Gazing

"Gaze at me, Glance at problems" are the words written by Sarah Young in her book Jesus Today. The "me" wasn't Ms. Young but Jesus. She writes entries as if it were Jesus speaking to the reader. A friend of mine had referenced this statement in our Sunday Evening Bible study recently. The next day at work before starting my usual task, I  picked up Ms. Young's book to read as I do most mornings and there as my next entry to read were the words "Gaze at me, Glance at problems". Hebrews 12:2 says, "fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Life goes through ebbs and flows, of good followed by difficult times. We all will find ourselves faced with struggles, hard decisions and problems that require our attention throughout our lives. Unfortunately, I have found that 9 of 10 of those situations in my own life tend to drain me of all that I have because I become so hyper-focused on the situation that I loss sight of everything else. After the situation has passed, I begin to realize that most of my time was spent worrying which led to inactivity and more stress than the situation ever should have produced. I was gazing at my problem and barely glancing at Jesus, "the author and perfecter of faith".

This morning, I woke up singing an old favorite hymn Turn your eyes upon Jesus. The chorus says "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace." I haven't stopped singing this chorus and I'm sure a few people have wished I would stop since I am not a great singer. There is a more modern Christian song that echos that of this hymn by For King and Country - Fix My Eyes.

God is calling us to refocus our lives. The Bible makes it clear that we should place our gaze on Jesus not on this world and all of it's problems. And it appears to this preacher girl that God wants this message to go forth from the Scripture because he has inspired words penned in a book to a few song sung through the ages to now words on a blog. No matter where we are in life's journey we are called to focus our attention on Jesus, He is "the author and perfecter of faith".

photo credit: Star Stuff via photopin (license)




2 comments:

  1. Everything you just said I agree with, with a resounding YES! I have a desktop calendar with Sarah Young devotions on them. Mine stayed put on March 4th for several days. The first three words just screamed at me as if Jesus was holding my face, speaking in a very loud parental tone........"STOP WORRYING!!" I have to refocus a lot. Keep up the good work. I look forward to keeping up with you even more now! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words and I'm so glad you too found that truth. :)

      Delete